The Stolls

The Stolls

Friday, 2 December 2011

What's in the Bottle

That was a cheap way to try and get comments on a blog post and I thank Jennifer and Rebecca for commenting. To the rest of you who I know wanted to comment, but just didn't get the time, I'll go ahead and tell what you might find in used bottles here in Togo.

Around here, people buy empty bottles that have screw on lids so they can use them for various things. You can buy roasted peanuts, sugared peanuts, roasted coconut, cookie things, whatever little snack-type things fit into a whiskey bottle. Also, people buy gasoline and sell it in these bottles on the side of the road. Personally, I'd be afraid to use them, not knowing exactly how much is gasoline and how much is something else. You could buy kerosene as well. The plastic ones are typically used to sell homemade liquid soap. Sometimes, people sell juices in them as well, or maybe even stronger than juice. I have personally not tasted them so cannot say for sure what exactly they hold. Maybe Saharabecks has some other known uses of the bottles we sell to little girls like the one who periodically comes to our door.

Next week, I'll post about my ongoing battle with the people who collect (sometimes) our trash. Watch this space. (I always wanted to say that.)

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I must have already told you my sodabi (sp?) story! I honestly never knew that you could sell your bottles though; I just gave them away, and I'm guessing they were eventually sold and filled with the all of the wonderful products mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Rebecca, I never heard your story. I can imagine tho. =) Hey, Roger, Elena and Fiona met your Dad at the SIM guesthouse in Niamey the other day!

    ReplyDelete