A week ago, we moved into a house not far from the airport—not that that means a lot to most of you, but, if you go to Google Maps and find the satellite one of Lome, you’ll have an idea. Anyway, it’s nice to be in our own space and to spread out a bit. We feel pretty much at home now. The dogs enjoy the space, though unfortunately, they can’t get far enough away from the house in order to bark without disturbing us!!! They often begin before 5am, blasted things!
The area we are in is relatively quiet, except for our dogs, and there seem to be a number of children around. Because it’s so calm, Elena got to walk to the little “shop”-thingy down the road the other day and buy eggs, all alone. She was really proud of herself, as were we that she went on such an expedition all alone having to rely on her French. Just before reaching our gate, she passed a lady getting on a moto-taxi. The lady stopped, held up her camera/phone and took a photo of Elena. It seemed a bit strange since we are usually the ones taking photos of Africans. The ladies all seem to like Elena’s long hair. Fiona and Sydney have hair that “attracts” as well, though it’s shorter. None of them like having their hair fondled, but it’s difficult to know what to say. It is usually only a quick touch or so. Most of these ladies we’ve met haven’t had the opportunity to touch “yovo” (the name for people of no color) hair.
I’ve gone the last 2 Saturdays to do shopping for the week, in town. I’ve found that Lome is rather expensive. Until we moved, Meme—the lady who helps us—did all the shopping and it was always pretty minimal. Unfortunately, it was also pretty minimal when I went as well, as I was a bit overwhelmed by the choice, or lack thereof, and the cost. This week I think I did better. I don’t know if I will get used to it and find stuff to make what we like to eat (perhaps we’ll just have to learn to eat more of what is available—hint, hint Fiona and Sydney). The other day I made some meat (which we haven’t had a whole lot of here) and pan-fried potatoes. Fiona came into the kitchen and looked at everything and said, “Yeah! American food!!!!” I guess it hasn’t been terribly easy for them at times.
I must say, the girls have been really good sports about it all. They usually just get on with it and try to eat whatever is set before them. Meme has learned what they like to eat, of what she cooks, so they get by better than they did in the first week or so. The girls also play really well together, for which I cannot be thankful enough. They entertain each other and have fun each day playing their “games”. We found a pool nearby which looks to be a good diversion and where we may even be able to get swimming lessons.
No comments:
Post a Comment