The Stolls

The Stolls

Sunday, 19 July 2009

The Beach


Even though we live on the coast, we don't often visit the beach. The public one is not exactly the place for people like us who stand out in every crowd and the "safe" ones are a good drive away. Besides, they seem to think they can make all their profits on those of us wanting to spend an afternoon in the safety of their sand. However, we decided to go today to a "new" (as in, new to us) beach hotel. It is literally right on the edge of the great port of Lomé. There are no natural reefs (the Atlantic is too cold, I understand) and therefore, nothing to keep one from being carried out to sea by the strong tides so swimming is out of the question, but that doesn't stop the sand castle builders and shell seekers among us. Today was one of those days. You can see the giant castle Roger and the girls and a couple of friends made.

Building wasn't the only thing we did today at the beach. Being next to the harbor, we got to watch a big container ship drop anchor and turn 180 degrees then "back into" it's place at the dock. It was really cool (no photos of that). Something else that was interesting, was the contrast in the "modern and huge" and the "ancient and tiny" coming into the harbor. Notice the tiny local boat coming in near the huge container ship sitting at dock. (It's not as striking a contrast in the photo as it was in real life, unfortunately.)

It was nice to sit out there with the lovely wind blowing and all. I, Kathy, am not really into the beach, especially big waves and cold water, but today was really nice.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy! Its me - Darnelle White - from Rolling Hills - Maureen's daughter. How are you??? I feel like I still know part of your life as I get news and updates from Mom who keeps in touch with Rip n Cleo. And this blogspot is wonderful!! Cute girlies - love em!! Anyway... there is a young man (in college right now) from our church here in Goldthwaite TX who feels the call of God on his life to be in the missions field. He is interested and feels led to Africa. His Dad is a principal here at school and I was visiting with him a couple weeks ago while we were doing Vacatn Bible School. So all that being said (whew!) do you have an email address where he can contact you guys? Hope all is good with you! Hhhhuuugggsss!! Darnelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great to hear from you, Darnelle. I'll make it brief here. stoll@emphasys.net is our email address. Are you on facebook? That is also a way to contact us. Again, great to hear from you! Are you teaching? Are you living near your Mom? I only know it's somewhere in central Texas. How are you? Kathy

    ReplyDelete