The Stolls

The Stolls

Sunday, 12 July 2009

stepping back - seeing the bigger picture

Last night we said goodbye to Allain Normand, a visitor from Switzerland. He was here to get to know our school, mediafrique, and visit some media projects in Togo. For 10 days I had the pleasure of picking the brains of this seasoned media practitioner.

It was in fact very refreshing to look at Christian media in West Africa through somebody else’s eyes. I believe he saw and heard things that I no longer notice. It made me think:
  • Is media training all that mediafrique can offer?
  • Why are we not offering assistance in finding solutions to local problems?
  • Why can’t we help radio stations with technical matters?
  • Why are we not encouraging others to do “what can’t be done”?
  • Why are we not more innovative ourselves?

I came to Togo to make radio work for the church in francophone Africa, so that the gospel might be communicated more effectively. But most of the time I find myself stuck in details. I am pre-occupied with the running of the media school, worrying about balance sheets, timetables and deadlines. Well, somebody’s got to do that…I know. However, it keeps me from seeing the bigger picture and pursuing all my ministry goals. But that's not how I want it be. Therefore, Allain, keep asking questions, even if I don't have any answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment